Our Music and Literacy course is a particularly popular workshop which uses music as a tool to raise literacy levels. It is delivered through music composition sessions in which participants are encouraged to write their own lyrics and create their own piece of music.
Emily Morris and Simon Gunton (Course Teachers)
The Course represents 30 hours of teaching which can be spread over six to eight days depending upon your needs. It is delivered by two to three workshop leaders experienced in working within both the mainstream education sector and the Criminal Justice System and sensitive to the issues involved in working with challenging client groups.
Through the course participants become involved in all aspects of music production and get a chance to:
- Familiarise themselves with song writing through studying the work of famous recording artists
- Discover different musical styles
- Play various musical instruments
- Gain an introduction to music composition
- Find out more about recording equipment
- Write their own lyrics
- Create their own piece of music
- Perform and record their own piece of music
Each participant will receive a recording of their work on completion of the course. As our Music and Literacy workshop is accredited through the Open College Network, they can also obtain a certificate in Writing for Meaning on successful completion of the course.
Throughout the workshop, Escape Artists will provide advice, information and contact details to interested participants on further training and work opportunities in the arts.
What do you need?
All we require from you in order to deliver the Music and Literacy course is:
- A space of appropriate size big enough to accommodate 12/15 people and our music equipment
- A flip chart
- Support staff to participate on a short term basis
- Refreshments for participants and workshop leaders
Escape Artists will provide:
- Overall management of the project
- Experienced and trained staff members
- Education packs for all participants
- An extensive music kit including: an acoustic drum kit, congas, djembes, bass guitars, electric and acoustics guitars, keyboards and laptops for recording purposes
- CDs of the tracks created during the workshop
All Escape Artists’ staff are CRB cleared.
Find out more
The Music and Literacy course is available in either accredited or unaccredited form. For enquiries about the Music and Literacy course and our other education programmes please call Christine Cellier on 020 7655 0909 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, if you prefer, you can make an online enquiry here.
More information about our education programmes is available from the links on the left, including a guide to current programmes and costs.
Please take a look at our MENU page to see how we can construct a course that meets your needs.