Our Pre-employment Training course uses drama techniques to prepare clients in their search for employment. The course is designed to meet the needs of:
- Young people entering the labour market for the first time
- People wishing to re-enter the labour market after a prolonged period of unemployment
The Course represents 30 hours of teaching which can be spread over a period of time ( up to 8 days) that suits your needs. It is delivered by two workshop leaders experienced in working within the Criminal Justice System, especially with young people at risk, and sensitive, therefore, to the issues involved in working with challenging client groups.
Many of the processes and exercises undertaken by theatre practitioners can be readily and effectively adapted to meet the needs of clients participating in the Pre-Employment Training course. Exercises employed in the course have emerged and been adapted from techniques used successfully by actors to, for example, optimise prospects at auditions, foster self-confidence and belief, cope with pressure and utilise relaxation exercises in order to enhance performance.
All of the aforementioned techniques are assimilated within the training in order to equip learners for interviews, working under pressure, bonding with colleagues and maximising performance. Participants will also benefit from exercises designed specifically to promote positive posture, self-presentation and an awareness of the importance of body language.
The workshop process will ultimately enable learners to attain a greater self-awareness and appreciation of their innate abilities to achieve, on their own and in conjunction with others. The process will provide them with the necessary tools they require to ensure that their prospects of securing employment are considerably enhanced.
As our Pre-Employment Training workshop is accredited through the Open College Network, participants can obtain a certificate in Preparation for Work on successful completion of the course.
What do you need?
All we require from you in order to deliver the Pre-Employment Training course is:
- A space of appropriate size i.e. big enough to accommodate 12/15 people and allow movements during the drama exercises
- A flip chart
- A TV (we can bring one if needed)
- Support staff to participate on a short term basis
- Refreshments for participants and workshop leaders
Escape Artists will provide:
- Overall management of the project
- Experienced and trained staff members
- Education packs for all participants
- A video camera
All Escape Artists’ staff are CRB cleared.
How to choose the course level
Both Levels cover the same areas but will reflect the following difference:
- Level 1 aims to secure the acquisition of a foundation of competences, knowledge and understanding in a limited range of predictable and structured contexts that prepare the learner to progress to further achievements.
(Equivalent to NVQ1, GNVQ Foundation, GCSE A-C)
- Level 2 will aim to secure the acquisition of a broader range of competences, knowledge and understanding which demonstrate the extension of previous abilities in less structured and predictable contexts and prepare the learner to progress to further achievement.
(Equivalent to NVQ2, GNVQ Intermediate, GCSE A-C)
Both Levels are available so that you can choose the course which best meets the needs of the people in your care.
What people have said about this course
'The staff and presenters were very professional and enthusiastic.
The success of this programme is a reflection of their commitment.'
'The students increased their self esteem and awareness. Their knowledge of employment possibilities have been enhanced. The acquisition of a certification has been an immense good in terms of self assurance.'
Enrichment Co-Ordinator on Pre-employment Training– HMYOI Glen Parva
'The group have definitely improved their team work skills and their ability to communicate … They seem more confident.'
Learning & Skills Manager – HMYOI Huntercombe
'Excellent facilitators! Very well managed in total, well done.'
Education Manager – HMYOI Wetherby
'I just got a better insight on how to present myself for work.'
'I think I will be more confident during interviews'
The above are quotes from participants in various Young Offender Institutions whose names cannot be displayed for Data Protection purposes.
Find out more
The Pre-employment Training course is available in either accredited or unaccredited form. For enquiries about the Pre-employment Training course and our other education programmes please call Christine Cellier on 020 7655 0909 or email her at email@example.com.
Alternatively, if you prefer, you can make an online enquiry here.
More information about our education programmes is available from the links on the left, including a guide to current programmes and costs.
Please take a look at our MENU page to see how we can construct a course that meets your needs.